Ma Koreh Anashim!

From the far east to the middle, from Mount Fuji to our own "Hill of Spring", Avy is back by popular demand, as some of you jokers somehow got the impression that i'm here to amuse you. Well I'm still jobless! D'you think that's funny?

And until such time as some poor soul reluctantly agrees to employ me, I'm on unemployment benefit and on the loose in Tel-Aviv, seeking out creative and interesting alternatives to doing absolutely bugger-all, not including, of course, presenting myself at the unemployment office every Thursday morning; well it's a reason to get out of bed I suppose.

So for the purposes of providing you with some light entertainment my dear, loyal followers, in the coming weeks - maybe even months, who knows - I'm gonna try and milk Tel-Aviv for all it's worth at as little cost as is humanly possible. What? Did you think I'm a Frier or something?
It's gonna be Achla-Sababa and Haval al ha zman!

Friday, June 18, 2010

Sir Elton John

It's always a pleasant surprise when you are suddenly reminded about concert tickets that you bought a few months ago and forgot about, especially if you're unemployed. It feels like you're getting a gift because the money you bought them with is long gone and well out of mind. Well such was the case with my Elton John ticket.

I had never attended an Elton John concert before, nor am I particularly a fan, and initially took some convincing to attend. Elton's advanced age, and the relatively low cost of the tickets gave me somewhat low expectations for the performance, and in any case how seriously can you take a man who wears a ginger wig. Ginger for goodness sake!


Well let's just say all my initial skepticism was quashed pretty quickly. What Elton lacks in exterior appearance, he more than makes up for in pure musical wizardry. He really is a "Rocket Man" on the piano and I couldn't fault his powerful, expressive voice, even though i'm told it used to be even better; it's hard to believe. I was surprised how many of his songs I could sing along to, but that is usually the case with me and the songs of famous musicians; I never know that I know them.


Sir Elton spoke few words to the crowd, but it was enough when he said early on, "Well I'm not staying away." That was all that was needed to get the Israeli public going and set the tone for the rest of the evening. It made me feel proud to be a British Israeli. Me and my friends Iris, Claudia and Noa sang, swayed and fist-pumped the night away.

Thanks Sir Elton - you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment