Ma Koreh Anashim!

From the far east to the middle, from Mount Fuji to our own "Hill of Spring", Avy is back by popular demand, as some of you jokers somehow got the impression that i'm here to amuse you. Well I'm still jobless! D'you think that's funny?

And until such time as some poor soul reluctantly agrees to employ me, I'm on unemployment benefit and on the loose in Tel-Aviv, seeking out creative and interesting alternatives to doing absolutely bugger-all, not including, of course, presenting myself at the unemployment office every Thursday morning; well it's a reason to get out of bed I suppose.

So for the purposes of providing you with some light entertainment my dear, loyal followers, in the coming weeks - maybe even months, who knows - I'm gonna try and milk Tel-Aviv for all it's worth at as little cost as is humanly possible. What? Did you think I'm a Frier or something?
It's gonna be Achla-Sababa and Haval al ha zman!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Reuven Rubin

Israeli art is not a subject I'm particularly familiar with. I would struggle to name more than a couple of famous names from this field, so this morning, as a first venture into the Israeli art world I payed a visit to Reuven Rubin House, just a couple of doors down from Bialik's.

The first pleasing fact I learned about Rubin was, that he was Romanian, like my mum, even though this doesn't really mean anything and is just an instinctive, irrational reaction; I mean, it's not like we're related.
The second pleasing fact I learnt about my Romanian half-brother is that he painted these paintings himself, he didn't steal them, honest; there are photos and films to prove it; that is relief to know.
The third interesting thing to learn about Rubin is he's a Romanian who looked a little middle-eastern in his youth, especially in the self-portrait below; well that's OK, my dad's Iraqi - maybe we are related after all.

Ancestral nonsenses aside, Rubin's painting capture the early day's of Israel, when the country was more or less just a pile of sand. His early paintings from the 1920s often show characters holding flowers in front of a desert backdrop, reflecting the dream of making the desert blossom. His paintings often depict familiar Israeli themes including religion, zionism, multiculturalism and the meeting of east and west, as well as beautiful Israeli scenary, always in vibrant color; a feast for the eyes!
Here are a few of his paintings that particularly caught me eye for different reasons.

1) This Jaffa scene somewhat reminds me of my current lifestyle except without donkeys and goats.

2) This painting is called something like "Jew with a red beard". I find it impressive in its straight-forwardness. Also, I too have a reddish beard, so this is what i might look like religious!

3) This one called "Rakafot" proves he is Romanian after all; didn't he know it's illegal to pick flowers in Israel; wait till the authorities hear about this!

4) "The first seder in Jerusalem" depicts early mutiethnic, multicultural Israel at Pesach, including, strangely, Elijah the prophet on the left dressed as Jesus of course. So he turned up for once but did he have to come in fancy dress? It's Pesach no Purim!

Let's just say when I had finished, I wanted to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment